Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Project Runway Application Question(s) #1:

Are you a fashion designer? Yes  No (circle one)
Umm, Yes. I mean, YES! Yes, I am.  After all, I sketch designs for dresses, then I figure out how to make them.


If yes, how many years have you been a fashion designer?
One year. (approximately) I've been sewing for three years, but doing my own designs for almost a year.


Do you design for your own label full time?  If you are designing for your own label, how long have you been in business?
Yes - Mousebee Couture.  I opened an Etsy store in March of 2010.


Do you design for: Men Woman Both (circle one)
Neither - right now I design for girls ages 0-12, but I would like to design for women.  And I promised Ben that I would make him something, too.  He specifically asked for shorts, which is pretty boring, but whatever.  And I have done a couple of boy's things - which I need to do more of on account of me knowing lots of little boys, including my own.  Ok, so this was a pretty long answer to a question that just required me to make a circle.


If both, which gender do you prefer to design for? If you design for only one gender, why?  What are the specific challenges or rewards of designing for each gender?
I would prefer to design for women because it is more fun and less limiting.  I do not think that my tailoring skills are up to making menswear right now, but creating clothes for men is definitely a future goal of mine.  
Being a woman, there is the immediate reward of being able to wear the clothes I design.  The challenge of women's clothes is learning all the techniques for of the fabrics and designs, but more importantly, coming up with something that is new.  I love vintage looks, but combining vintage with modern has been done.  And you don't want to design something so crazy just for the sake of being "new" that it completely unwearable.  Also, I like clothes that are comfortable.  It will be a challenge to not sacrifice style for comfort.  (Honestly, I think in the far future, people will be wearing a sort of sari/toga garment because comfort will reign in the intellectually superior futuristic society.  Although I hope there will still be a fragment of intellectually superior Fashionistas who will be rocking stylish sari/togas.)


What is/are your areas of expertise? Check all that apply:
___Women's ready to wear
___Women's evening wear
___Women's avant-garde
___Menswear
___Accessories
___Other (please specify below: swimwear, lingerie, activewear, etc.)
Other: Girl's wear, ages 0-12  BUT - ask me again later as I intend to branch out.


Please list any place your clothes are available for sale (including internet):
www.etsy.com/shop/mousebeecouture


What were your gross sales for your biggest year?
$1229.35


Do you make a living as a designer or is this a hobby?  If you do not currently make your living as a designer, how do you currently make your living?
Not yet.  This is a hobby for now as I am a stay at home mom/part time waitress.


Well, number one was a pretty long "question," but it does give you some insight to the urgency of my need to get learning and sewing and creating.  I have a long way to go, but I'm excited.  This is going to be a fun "makeover" of myself.  I'm not going to feel sorry for myself that I didn't focus my degree on design when I was younger; I don't want to think that it is too late for me.  This is something that I love and I am not afraid to work hard and challenge myself.  And this will keep my creative self alive as the monotony of dishes, laundry, diaper changing, etc. and the potential for the demoralizing after effects of waiting tables may try to get me down. 


Que: Baby waking from nap.  Great time to wrap this up for today.  I have finished my pants and will try to finish the top today.  Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment