Thursday, August 4, 2011

Can You Feel A Brand New Day

My 15 month old son slept through the night for the second night in a row last night.  The previous night was the first time that he had slept through the night since his birth.  Only if you have had children will you understand the full implication of what this all entails.  But let's not dwell on how it got to be this way, let's just acknowledge that after two full nights of sleep, I feel good.

And I am ready to get started.  This blog will be threefold.

1. I will follow the design challenges of Project Runway Season 9.
2. I will answer questions on the application.
3. I will read and master the book from the Basics The Ava Series on Fashion Design Construction by Anette Fischer.

 I will follow the design challenges of Project Runway Season 9.  I will take the parameters given, and design my own garment by sketching it out.  I will not, at this point, make the garment due to time and money restraints.  The items I do sew together are done so at intervals, as my life is full of interruptions.   Designers on the show are given the entire day to construct the works, which to many, this may seem impossible. But to me the idea of a day completely dedicated to sewing together something sounds like heaven.  I do promise to make some designs, however, as I progress.  Maybe you can help me decide which one(s) deserve to be created.

The only application for Project Runway that I could find online was from Season 6 as the casting for the show is not currently happening.  But I wanted to have an idea of what to expect.   There are some very thoughtful and some very silly questions on this application and I don't know if the same application is used every season, but it will good practice.   I have never tried to be on any show, let alone one that your performance and talent directly effects your being cast.  I have been paying attention to the previous seasons's designers and their backgrounds, noticing that there is a diverse group of ages, design backgrounds, and experience.  I am 33, which is older than most contestants, but not all.  I have had little formal training and am mostly self taught.  But I am exploding with ideas and have often watched the show judging for myself the final designs finding myself thinking, "That is all that they could come up with?"

However, that being said, I need more training in construction.  My "expertise" is in little girls' dresses, which  from a design point of view, is very different than creating clothes for grown ups.  Little girls do not have a waist line, but a round belly, and they have to chest, meaning no darts needed in the bodice.  Just recently I have had orders for dresses for older girls, which introduced me to creating darts.  But I will need to learn and practice more areas of construction and Ms. Anette Fischer's book will be my guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment