Saturday, August 13, 2011

Go Big or Go Home

The their design challenge of Project Runway, Season 9 put the designers in teams of two and asked them to take $300 and create a design for stilt walkers.  The idea was to play around with proportion.  Now my initial thought was to get all crazy and SyFy with this challenge, but as I sketched, the model wasn't looking fantastical at all, but rather she was looking freakish.  Then I imagined that I was creating an ensemble for Lady Gaga, but then again, it wasn't "easy on the eye."  I thought that I could create, as Tyra Banks says, an "ugly pretty," but all I was getting was ugly.  I did come up with an idea that was very structural and abstract, but I scratched going in that direction what with only being given one day to make the dress.

So, my idea stayed with "pretty pretty" as I thought of three things I love in a dress: chiffon, lace, and a deep, rich color.  I went with this beautiful dark navy/black sheer chiffon (with a beige cotton underneath to give it an almost nude effect). The top has long sleeved chiffon with a plunging neckline, draped chiffon front.  The waist is cinched with a black Alecon lace trim.  The skirt of the dress would be the long, billowy chiffon.  I want the end result to be feminine, sexy, and glamorous.

No comments:

Post a Comment