Saturday, March 10, 2012

Now Casting!

So my beloved Project Runway is casting up until March 15th.  (big sigh)  I won't be applying, at least not this season.  But...eleven has always been my lucky number - and that will be the following season's number.  So, I finally have given myself a deadline.  Also, the application that I have been working from is the same as they are currently using; same questions and requirements.  The major hold up for me is that I will not have ten completed looks done in time.  Currently, I have twelve dresses ordered, so I am busing doing them.  The fun part is that I will be doing three new designs, which I will post pictures of as they are completed.

I completed the order of nine dresses and got them shipped in time.  I think that they turned out great.  I have heard little feedback, though, as the buyer was not happy with the amount of money that her Country charged her to import the dresses.  It was very frustrating for me, as well, as I wasn't aware of the amount to claim (a reasonable amount had to be claimed so I could insure them as they did represent two months of work done).  It will be a lesson learned on my side.  Here is the finished work:




After the nine dresses were completed, I did a dress for an eight year old's Baptism in California.  It was a similar design, but in white silk and lace.  I surprised her by making her a gift, a matching dress for her American Girl doll:


It was a hit!

Next in line are the remaining orders, what did I say? Thirteen? Twelve? Anyway -I have Erin to help me until she is off to New York City for her next coop at the end of March.  Business is good, I have tripled my business from last year and it is only March.  At this rate, I told Erin, I could pay her if she wanted to do her last coop this Fall with me.  It may work out.  We had the idea of throwing our own fashion show next year, an opportunity for the seniors at her school to showcase their designs as well as bring in other talent in Cincinnati.  Our little city has much talent to offer!  I'm putting this idea here so that it doesn't go away and so I'm held to it.  A huge part of my Project Runway dream is my imaginings of what my fashion show would look like.  The thought of it almost makes me cry each time.  I get so filled up with joy/pride/humility/passion/etc. that I could just "pop."

Speaking about happy thoughts, my next blog will be about my recent vacation to St. john and how it gave me design inspirations!

Take Care!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely dresses Jaime. If you're interested in taking on the challenge (though I know you're busy) in mid May we're attending the fancy 1920's themed wedding of my friend who works for Esquire, and I haven't a thing to wear.

    Your Sister in Law

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! I didn't know my blog had comments - I just saw this today. You do have custom, designer clothes made by me in your future! Just sent me your measurements and I'll come up with something for you for your any occasion!

    ReplyDelete