Saturday, December 10, 2011

While The Boy Naps...

I'll take this opportunity to get caught up here.  In an organized fashion, let's tackle the following topics:

1. Completed sewing projects.

2. Currently.

3. Future Outlook.


1. So, the first project completed was Lucy's Princess Dress for Halloween:





I like how it turned out and she loved wearing it.  I listed it on my shop adding that I can do any color variation, but knowing that it is time consuming, I made it an expensive item.  It is fully lined and well made, so worth it.

The next items which took up most of November, was Sarah's Flower girl and jr. bridesmaid dresses.  The Flower Girl was easy, but making a bigger one was not.  I actually started all over on the jr. one as the first was not long enough in the torso and I wasn't in love with the design.  The girl it was for was taller and more slender and more "hip" for the first design.  She was a size 13, but I was using a size 8 dress form which I had padded, but you can still get an idea of how it looked.  

Flower Girl




Jr. Bridesmaid



2. Currently I am working on Christmas gifts - which I cannot elaborate on now, in case a relative or friend is reading this!  But I will update you after the holidays.  Also, I have been corresponding back and forth with several potential clients via my shop on Etsy (www.etsy.com/shop/mousebeecouture).  They have been planning First Communion and Flower girl dresses, mostly.  However, one woman, was interested in me doing dance recital dresses, ten total.  If that happens, I'll have to take time off work to get them all done in time (February) and I'll have to stop taking any other orders until then too.  So, it would be a mixed blessing.  

3. I had to raise my prices in my shop because I can only take on so much as I have been working more and making good money at the restaurant.  It makes me sad because I do think that I could make it a real business if I had the time and money.  I often day dream about it: having a shop and employees and new designs and samples and an awesome website.  Maybe someday.  For now, I'll take on what I can and make each one awesome.  I still am wanting to do more of my own projects though.  I ordered four fashion books for Christmas for myself that I am anxious to get a hold of.  After the holidays, I will reavaluate my agenda and  make a list for the new year.  For now, here's Lucy in a holiday dress I made last year.  It is a super light and crisp dark green taffeta skirt with a festive green and gold striped cotton bodice.

Happy Holidays! 












No comments:

Post a Comment